Can a furnace explode? Furnace repair and furnace service are essential to maintain furnace efficiency. Getting your system checked at scheduled intervals will help identify issues in time and increase its lifespan. Sometimes, however, a furnace problem can get grim and result in furnaces exploding. Here are five warning signs that your furnace is going to explode.
While a furnace system isn’t the quietest system in existence, there are some noises you shouldn’t hear from it. These include high pitched, grinding, rumbling, popping, squealing, or banging. This could result from minor issues like loose components within the system or more severe problems. Either way, you should call a professional to look into the issue.
Because furnaces burn fuel to produce heat, they release carbon monoxide. While a furnace maintained properly will release this explosive gas through vents, an old, poorly maintained one can have a leak through which carbon monoxide escapes. Furnaces are equipped with carbon monoxide detectors, so if your detector goes off, you need to call a gas company, furnace repair professional, or the fire department.
If your furnace gives off a fuel smell when it’s been on for some time, it could be the result of a leak. If you get the smell of burning plastic or smoke when it has been on for a while, don’t try to resolve the issue yourself. Working with any electrical appliance in such a state could trigger an explosion. Call a furnace repair technician to do the job.
There may be many situations where your furnace system doesn’t switch on no matter what you try. This could be due to its age or poor maintenance, but it could also result from more severe problems in some instances.
If it turns on and you find it’s getting unbearably hot, switch it off immediately and call a professional to look into the issue. Don’t run it in such a condition as it could explode.
A high-efficiency furnace will operate with a blue pilot light. If you notice a change in the color of this light from blue to yellow, it could signal a ventilation problem like improper carbon monoxide dissipation. This highly explosive gas could be dangerous for you and your loved ones.